Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Bride of Itch-a-Sketch™®

Because a friend had posted an entrancing photo online, and somehow I couldn't not draw it, so goofy and beautiful

Because if this friend from high school, a mad scientist and creator and lover of arts, didn't curate the odd and artful on the Internet, I would miss a lot, including the photo on which this is based.

Because I couldn't help noticing how lithe the dancer's musculature, and my own prejudice that such a dancer from the 1920s wouldn't have, well, a dancer's body.

Because I had a ball-point pen lying around and wanted to play with fine hatching and crosshatching on soft paper, luxuriating in the soft pull of the roller ball on paper.

Because it's been a while since I've opened the Itch-A-Sketch™® department of ShawnDRAWN©®, and needed to breathe new life into the neglected franchise, wherein I find random doodles from my sketchbook.

Because, by coincidence, I wrote about the creator of the Major League Baseball logo when I introduced Itch-A-Sketch®™ for years ago. The creator of that logo, Jerry Dior, died last month.

That's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment