Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Will they stay or will they go?

The Sacramento Kings will remain the Sacramento Kings, not the Anaheim Royals or the Anaheim Anything. For Now. Maybe. We'll see. I dunno.

That's the gist of the story so far. The city of Sacramento with mayor and former NBA star Kevin Johnson, majority Kings owners and developers are all coming together, hats in hand (the hatless have even bought hats to have them in hand), resolving to build a new arena so the Kings will stay forever, and the majority owners say they may pay for more of the new arena. I guess. I dunno.

What I do know, and this cover I drew for the Sacramento News & Review is proof, is that the new arena, and who pays for it, have haunted Sacramento for years; long before this cover, even; probably the day Power Balance Pavilion (nee Arco Arena) was built. Once the last rivet was hammered and the last bin of dust scooped, someone on the construction crew must have said aloud, "No, this is not it at all! What were we thinking?" Or some such.

Anaheim apparently is holding out hope no good thing will come of another year for the Kings in Sacramento: One site even has what appears to be a countdown for when Anaheim might be eligible again to host the team.

Rabid fans of my work (thank you for your foamy loyalty!) will notice I savaged another illustration, with portraits of Lincoln, Washington and Franklin on their respective dollar bills, to build this arena made of money. Ethical? I dunno. I guess. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment