Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Too much information

Don't shoot me, I'm only the guy who can't get disturbing images out of my head without drawing them.

Swim friend Jim Morrill planted the image in my head to begin with.

Swim friend Stacy Purcell suggested we gather data about our cold-water swims in Lake Natoma: Air and water temperature, time and duration of swims, and body temperature before and after.

We want to gather sufficient data to determine trends.

One possible trend: We get cold. (Alert the National Science Foundation! This could be Grantapalooza!) My body temperature drops about five degrees from start to finish after about an hour in water that hovers between 49 and 51 degrees.

I'm no scientist, but I don't think that's accurate. We're concerned the readings are false because we take our temperature by mouth. A lot of cold water swirls in our mouths over nearly 1.5 miles of swimming.

"You know what you need to do?" said Jim, describing in detail exactly where we could stick our thermometers — while we're swimming. He might even have said, "I'd pay to see that." I can't remember exactly.

(Jim has since bought his own thermometer; I suggested he be the "control" in this experiment, while Stacy and I continue taking our temperature orally …)

Thus this inspired logo, to join the sordid assortment of other logos to brand our nefarious adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment